I suggest you ...

Remove the option to downvote

I think they should be removed simply because downvotes don't encourage an open platform for discussion. In every community I have seen it implemented it encourages members to think the same way, otherwise they risk a deluge of negative downvotes. Just as an example saying that you like a shooter could draw the ire of the community and mean your comment would be buried.

Removing downvotes also might have an added benefit by encourage discussion, as anyone that disagrees will have to reply to voice their disagreement instead of doing a fire and forget downvote and moving on. It's just a suggestion I thought would make commenting a bit better and a better platform to discuss things whatever viewpoint members have.

26 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    BobthecatlolBobthecatlol shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  mrdestructoidAdminmrdestructoid (Founder, Destructoid) responded  · 

The number of comments and upvotes have outperformed all years of comment activity, so it seems it is an overall success. Disqus is working with us to detect mob activity, but otherwise it seems like downvotes are here to stay. Please do report any abuses of downvoting to support@destructoid.com asap!

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Qlum WyrfexQlum Wyrfex commented  · 

oh forgot to add, likes will not solve the problem and will only promote one-liners even more.

• Qlum WyrfexQlum Wyrfex commented  · 

The thing I have seen working best though not perfect is a user moderation system, I have only seen it on the dutch site tweakers but it works pretty well.

Basically you can give posts a rating from -1 to +3 for each rating a post must meet certain criteria, a -1 post needs to be either offensive, misleading, or just plain trolling, a +3 post which is very rare needs to add essential information to the subject. and so there are criteria for all the other posts, in general most post will end up with either a 0 or +1. People misusing the system will be banned from using the system.

I know you can't just implement it here as it requires its own written forum software but It is still better then the love hate system as it requires you to actually look at the quality of the post rather then if you agree with it or not.

I hate it how stupid one liners get the top votes while actually well writen maybe controvercial posts get lots of downvotes.

• TarvuTarvu commented  · 

It probably isn't possible for them to interfere with Disqus in this way, but I'd agree with this if it were possible. Allow comment fapping but no downvotes.

• RammsteinRammstein commented  · 

As someone so (in)famous that they get downvoted just for posting, I kind of agree with this. Keeping upvotes only, or just renaming them to "Likes" or whathaveyou, is a better idea.

Feedback and Knowledge Base